Creating Walkable Neighborhoods
Each year Smart Growth America offers a limited number of technical assistance workshops to communities at no charge. Applications are now open for the 2015 free technical assistance workshops.
If your community is interested in creating vibrant, walkable neighborhoods, but not sure where to start, Smart Growth America’s technical assistance workshops can help. Their experts can work with your community to understand your goals, show how development strategies can help achieve goals, and provide ideas to make it happen.
You'll need to work with your town government to apply for a workshop. The entities that are eligible for assistance are:
-Native American Tribe
Communities can apply for one of 12 workshop types as part of the free program (view program descriptions here: http://www.smartgrowthamerica.org/technical-assistance/how-we-can-help/)
- Implementing smart growth 101
- Planning for economic and fiscal health
- Sustainable land use code audit
- Complete Streets
- Using LEED-ND to accelerate the development of sustainable communities
- Walkability workshop/audit
- Regional planning for small communities
- Smart growth zoning codes for small cities
- Transportation performance measurement
- “Cool planning”
- Parking audits
- Implementing transit-oriented development 101
Visit the Smart Growth America Website to learn about this year’s opportunity, including the types of workshops available and information about how to apply. http://www.smartgrowthamerica.org/technical-assistance/ Applications are due by October 23, 2014 at 5:00 PM EDT.