Maine Conservation Corps Field Teams RFP
The Maine Conservation Corps (MCC) is dedicated to accomplishing natural resource projects throughout the State of Maine. The MCC engages teams of young men and women in trail construction, rehabilitation and maintenance projects throughout Maine. We are preparing for 2018 and want to help realize your vision for a sustainable trail.
What types of projects do MCC teams do?
· Clear new trails through forest and field
· Build bog bridges and boardwalks in wetland areas
· Build stone steps and water bars from native stone to control erosion on trails
· Install steel pins, ladders, and handrails on steep ledge trails
· Build timber bridges from native or prefabricated materials
· Construct surfaced trails that meet ADA standards
· Maintain boundary lines
Three Field Team services are available:
- 6 person teams “Full Teams” – composed of 1 Leader, 1 Assistant Team Leader and 4 Team Members. $3,950 per week. These teams are equipped with a vehicle, cargo trailer, camping equipment and most of the tools needed for the project. 6 person teams welcome local volunteers, but are able to complete projects with minimal support.
- 3 person teams “Mini Teams” – composed of 1 Leader and 2 Team Members. $2,500 per week. These teams can act as a facilitator for a project to be substantially completed by local volunteers. With their own vehicle, camping gear, and tools, a Mini Team will assure progress – with or without volunteers on a daily basis. These teams can serve to keep the project on track, teaching skills to volunteers and maintaining a safe work place. They are also an excellent option for smaller projects.
- Trail Planning Assistance – MCC staff can offer practical advice and assistance in developing your trail project. On site consultation regarding route options, layout, and design can improve the quality of the final trail. Estimates of time and materials required for a project can help your organization prepare for fundraising efforts. Planning assistance is available at a rate of $295 per day.
To apply for a MCC team, please find the following attachments:
1. Project Request Form – Use this form to make a full application to MCC. This information will enable us to prepare for your needs, and determine if MCC can accommodate your project. Please submit your proposal by February 23rd in order to receive full consideration. All projects must be approved by the Commissioner, Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry (DACF). Projects without complete proposals will not be considered.
Note: Proposals will be processed in the order that they are received. It is advisable to submit your proposal as soon as possible.
To learn more about what MCC can do for your organization call, email or go to the Maine Conservation Corps website. We look forward to being a part of your trail plans!
For more information please contact:
Sara Knowles, MCC Director (207) 624-6086