Recreational Trails Program Grant
COMPLETE APPLICATION MUST BE SUBMITTED BY 5PM FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2016
Eligible projects may include:
- Maintenance and restoration of existing recreational trails.
- Development and rehabilitation of trail side and trailhead facilities and trail linkages for recreational trails.
- Construction of new recreational trails.
- Acquisition of easements or fee simple title to property for recreational trails or recreational trail corridors.
- Operation of educational programs to promote safety and environmental protection as those objectives relate to use of recreational trails.
Applications for RTP funding must stipulate full support of the program and must ensure public access to the recreation improvements funded by the grant. Maximum grant requests are $50,000. Total Applicant cash and in-kind (donated) costs must be at least 20% of total project cost. Design/Engineering costs are limited to maximum of 10% grant amount*
The State of Maine has agreed to take part in the Recreational Trails Program (RTP) under the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), the federal agency that administers the program at the national level. The Bureau of Parks and Lands has been designated the state agency to administer the program in Maine. Within the Bureau, the Grants and Community Recreation Program provides day-to-day supervision of RTP matters.
- 30% of RTP funds allocated to the state shall be reserved for uses related to motorized trail recreation
- 30% of RTP funds allocated to the state shall be reserved for uses related to non-motorized trail recreation.
- The remaining funds shall be used for recreational projects that facilitate diverse trail use.
For more information and to apply, visit the Bureau of Parks & Lands website: